UU Church of Cortland
Our Sister Congregation
Since 1837, the Universalists have called the cobblestone building at 3 Church Street in Cortland, NY their spiritual home. Today, it is the gathering place for the Unitarian Universalist Church, our sister congregation.
Rev. Darcey Laine, UU Cortland’s minister, grew up in a musical family, and has a bachelor’s degree in Music performance from Indiana University. She attended Star King School for the ministry where she developed a passion for ministry with children and youth. After her ordination in 1998 she served as a religious educator and youth programming coordinator, then settled in Silicon Valley where she served as Minister of Religious Education for the Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto for seven years.
The UU Church in Cortland (also known as “The Old Cobblestone Church”) was built in 1837 as a Universalist Church. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.has cobblestone walls and granite quoins. In 1895, a large arch was cut in the east cobblestone wall and a Morey and Barnes organ was set in the arch. This historic organ is one of only two such historic organs remaining. It is nationally recognized by the American Organ Historical Society for its superb sound and nearly original condition.