UU Congregation of Binghamton
Love is the spirit of this congregation…
At the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Binghamton, we offer a spiritual home where we explore, celebrate and cherish our interconnectedness, encourage growth and transcendence, and act with justice and compassion.
Our Unitarian Universalist Vision: Our Congregation will become a beacon in the larger community, demonstrating our Unitarian Universalist values and principles through our actions. We will embrace a diversity of people, inspiring us all to think of the world in new ways. As we explore different perspectives and share our freedom to think and feel, we will work together with others for social and environmental justice. Celebrating our differences and the whole of life, we will foster personal and spiritual growth to help people become their best selves.
Our Behavioral Covenant: Rather than creeds, we have covenants – promises of how we will be with each other and support one another. No test of faith or belief is required to join our community. Instead we gather around a promise of how we will treat each other as expressed in the behavioral covenant.
In our relationships with one another, we covenant
- to interact with one another directly, with respect, honesty, and kindness.
- to welcome diversity, and to respect the unique gifts each individual brings to our congregation.
- to ask ourselves before we speak, “Is what I’m about to say true, kind, and necessary?”
In our relationship with our congregational community, we covenant
- to help one another, and to let one another know when we would like help.
- to provide for and to care for our spiritual home.
In recognition of our common humanity, we covenant
- to practice patience, forgiveness, and understanding.
- to recommit ourselves regularly to our covenant.