Sundays at UUCB
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation Binghamton, 183 Riverside Drive, Binghamton, NY 13905 (Starting in January 2020, we will be meeting at United Presbyterian Church at 42 Chenango St while our building is renovated.)
- Sunday service begins 10:30am followed by social hour (For the first 8 months of 2020, while at United Presbyterian, our Sunday service will begin at 12:30 am. Social Hour will be at 11:30)
- The first Sunday of the month, service is followed by workshops for all ages at 11:30am (During the renovation, First Sunday workshops will begin at 1:30pm)
- Children’s program begins 10:30am (Again, while at the Presbyterian Church, our Children’s program will shift time with everything else, starting at 12:30)
- Childcare available
- Ample parking onsite
- Dress is casual
- Upcoming services
We gather together in spiritual community because we need constant reminders of what matters most in life. In a world of heartbreak and dehumanization, our congregations and communities call us to our better selves. We learn to live with more wisdom, more connection, and more compassion.
Our Worship Services are weekly reflections that weave together our own thoughts and experiences with music, beauty, poetry, and words that both comfort and challenge. Our programs for all ages inspire us, and awaken us to our capacities to make a difference in our own lives and in the world.
We are inspired not just by religious sources but by the people with whom we journey: the diverse and spirited Unitarian Universalists.
We gather in worship to find meaning and live more deeply. Worship creates connections within, among, and beyond us, calling us to our better selves, calling us to live with wisdom and compassion.
Unitarian Universalist worship styles vary by congregation, and even within congregations. Some congregations’ worship is contemporary and high tech. Some congregations’ worship is traditional and formal. Some features exuberant music, some includes long periods of silent reflection.
Sunday Morning at UUCB
Our congregation’s worship is fairly traditional, with music and readings, a sermon, and songs from our hymnal.
The service typically includes:
- Words of welcome
- Lighting a flaming chalice, the symbol of our faith
- A multigenerational segment, such as a “story for all ages”
- Music, both instrumental and vocal and in a variety of styles
- A time for lifting up the joys and concerns of the congregation
- A meditation or prayer
- Readings—ancient or contemporary
- A sermon given by our minister, a guest speaker, or a member of the congregation
- An offering, collecting financial donations for the congregation or for justice work in the community.
From time to time, our services incorporate holiday celebrations, multigenerational plays and pageants, longer musical performances, child dedications, and coming-of-age ceremonies. We offer childcare and learning programs for children and youth during the Sunday service.
First Sundays at UUCB
On the first Sunday of each month, our multi-generational worship service offers innovation in the Sunday Service experience. Designed to increase opportunities for connection and explore many different ways to tap into our intellectual, creative and spiritual depths, we gather for a shorter service in the Sanctuary and then spread out for different workshops. The hardest part is often deciding which experience to choose!
- Service 10:30-11:15
- Break 11:15-11:30
- All ages workshops 11:30-12:15
- Fellowship 12:15-12:45
- (During renovations in 2020, while we are out of our building and meeting at the United Presbyterian Church (42 Chenango St) we will have these times adjusted by 2 hours. Service 12:30 – 1:15; Break 1:15 – 1:30; All Ages Workshops 1:30 – 2:15.)