Holiday Food Drive
The UUCB Holiday Food Drive is a Social Action HUUB-Membership project to engage our faith community to collect and distribute food to support families experiencing food insecurity in our local communities.
For many, December is a month of anticipation of presents and feasts with family and friends, but not for all. We know that many families are struggling to make ends meet, worsened by the pandemic. In fact, an unprecedented number of people are currently struggling to put food on the table because of economic hardship caused by the pandemic.
During this holiday season, we have the opportunity to engage in a meaningful way, focusing on giving to support those with unmet nutrition needs and learn about hunger in our community. Through this project, we will, with our faith community collectively engage in the joy and nourishment of giving and learning. We, individually and together, as a congregation have the power to make a difference.
- Review the suggested food donation list
- Check your pantry for unexpired food items on the list
- Add items to your weekly shopping list
- Grab a box (or 2 to lighten the load)
- Decorate if you wish
- Place it in a prominent location
- Post the calendar which suggest the food item for the day (or attach it to the box)
Daily: December 1-25
- Each day reflect on the grace and blessings of your life and through your generosity, that you can tangibly help your neighbors who are struggling this year
- Add a food item to the box; check off on your calendar
- Celebrate; maybe take a picture and post it on the UUCB Members and Friends
- Facebook page or email it to Karen to share at firstname.lastname@example.org
On Mondays look for emails with the subject UUCB Holiday Food Drive for fun activities and to learn more about food insecurity in your community and beyond.
- Write a check, if you can, to help address food insecurity
- Information about organizations will be provided during the month
Donate your food box after the holidays
- You may go directly to the CHOW Warehouse in Binghamton or a pantry of your choice
- Drop-off at ETM Solar Works-we will get the boxes to CHOW
- Need help transporting your box, we will identify volunteers to help
You have the power to make a difference!