Social justice work is an integral part of what it means to be a Unitarian Universalist. We serve, we advocate, we educate, and we donate. We seek to make tangible our commitment to UU principles through acts of love, deeds of justice, and efforts to improve the human condition.
To check for upcoming events, just go to the UUCB Events page and select SOCIAL JUSTICE from the Categories menu.
We have many opportunities to learn about and take action around contemporary social justice issues in the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Binghamton:
- Make salad: Help prepare salad for the indigent community meal at Sarah Jane Johnson Methodist Church on the third Tuesday of every month.
- Support December Adopt a Family: Each December our congregation adopts a local family and provides gifts for Christmas. Look for the Christmas tree in the social hall in December to participate.
- Serve Lunch: All Saints Episcopal Church’s Saturday Soup and Salad Lunches every Saturday (except the second Saturday of June, July, and August) from 11 A.M. to about 1:30. It is a fun and rewarding thing to do, and children ten and older may participate.
- We partner with Community/Interfaith Organizations to advocate for different issues locally and globally. See the event calendar for happenings to attend.
- UU Social Justice advocates for
- High Quality Health Care
- Livable Wage
- Ethical Eating
- Reduction of Poverty
- Equality of race, sexuality, gender
- Affordable housing
- Safe Environment
- Past advocacy issues
- Attend a film: The UUCB Peace, Justice and Sustainability Film Series shows films periodically related to contemporary justice issues. Check the calendar of events for the next film. Past films
- Attend Social Justice Sunday: Attend the yearly Social Justice Sunday event, usually in March, centering around a contemporary justice issue.
- morning worship service
- fellowship lunch
- educational forum with a film, speakers and/or panel discussion
- act on the knowledge gained
- Attend a Lecture or Community Forum: Check the calendar for upcoming events at Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Binghamton and around the community.
- Donate Food: Bring canned or boxed food items for the donation box in the coat room for CHOW.
- Support Fair Trade items: Purchase Fair Trade coffee, tea, chocolate at Social Hour after Sunday service.
- Contribute to the Sunday offering: On the second Sunday of the month, the cash collection is donated to local human service agencies/projects. See the announcements for upcoming organizations.
Join the Social Justice Committee
Do you have a passion for social justice issues and are interested in serving the UUCB community in planning events and advocating for causes? Join the Social Justice Committee, which meets the first Tuesday of every month at 7pm at the church. All are welcome.
- Green Sanctuary Focuses on sustainability and Earth Justice issues.
- Rainbow Alliance Fosters an understanding and support for persons of all sexual orientations.
UUA Social Justice
Learn more about the Unitarian Universalist Association’s commitment to social justice.